Thursday, August 7, 2014

BERNADETTE'S HOMEMADE LOW SODIUM CHICKEN SOUP

            This is just something I made up and put together while completely winging it.
I will do my best to give some sort of measurements, but I kinda just go with the flow.
If you're a wiz in the kitchen already, you can probably put this together and even add your own special touches. The idea of this recipe is that it's easy and made for the busy person [ like myself]. You can make this very yummy soup in no time at all. The other thing is that its full of flavor without any added salt. Does'nt need it at all!
Here it is:

You will need- Frozen veggies [ whatever you like] - I always use a bag of string beans,corn, and carrot mix, and either broccoli & coliflower mix, or just brocolli, or brussel sprouts. Always frozen in the bag.
   - 1 big onion [ spanish, vidalia, yellow]
   - 4 big hearts of celery
    -1 can of plum tomatoes
   - either 4 small or 2 large chicken breasts
   - oil- I use canolla. If you want, use what you like. I find the canolla is perfect
   - Frozen in the bag, either- brown rice or brown rice with black beans. Or your favorite pasta [ I only use whole grain and I like the bow tie for this recipe]
   - Ms Dash for chicken
   - any herbs or your favorite spices. I use a blend of herbs for poultry.
   - onion powder
   - black pepper
   - Collage Inn Low fat and Low Sodium chicken broth. Big box

What to do:
Preheat oven at 350

In baking dish with olive oil , put in chicken breasts covered in Ms Dash for chicken. Cook until mostly done. You dont want to over cook. You want the chicken to be nice and juicy.
Meanwhile, cut up the onions and celery [ any other veggies that you want is up to you]
I use about 6-8  of the plum tomatos and I cut them length wise and thick. In fact, everything is cut thick.
In pot put canolla oil, heat up on low heat, add the onions and celery and some Ms Dash, onion powder, and pepper. Toss around and saute until soft.
Next, add the sliced tomatoes and some of the juice from the can [ gives soup a rich color]
Oh, I almost forgot, lol- while you are doing all of the above, you are cooking your frozen veggies in the microwave.
Ok now, so next - add the mixed veggies and toss, the other veggies of your choice and toss. You may want to adjust your seasonings at this time. Maybe add more Ms Dash. I dont use alot of onion power, but I do go a little nuts on the Ms Dash,lol.
Next, add your cut up chicken. How much is up to you. I also like nice big chunks. Toss.
Next, add appoximately 3 cups of chicken broth and 2 cups of water. Toss, turn heat all the way up and bring to a boil.
Once boiling, taste test. Adjust seasonings if need be, then lower heat, cover and simmer for 15min up to a half and hour.
Next, take your pre-cooked pasta [ you will want to under cook the pasta just a bit so it will continue to cook in the soup and not get all starchy and nasty] Or your frozen, but cooked rice and add it to the soup. If using pasta, use as much as you like. Also, sometimes I add in chick peas or kidney beans from the can. Again, this is added right at the end of the simmering.
Simmer for about a minute and serve.
Serve with a few croutons on top or your favoite bread.
This usually lasts us [ two of us] about 4-5 days. This is because we end up eating it for lunch and dinner. If you have a bigger pot and you want to double or tripple the recipe to feed more mouths, go for it!
I posted some pictures and some videos of the proccess. I hope you enjoy ;)

Hugs&Health
Bernadette xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment